[mythtv-users] High idle load average on revo 1610

Christopher Kerr mythtv at theseekerr.com
Sat Jun 5 08:22:32 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 4:26 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a single core revo running 0.23.0+fixes24836-0ubuntu from
> mythtbuntu's auto builds.
>
> At idle (in watch recordings menu) it seems to be sitting at about .40
> to .50 load average. When playing it goes up to .90 to 1.10, and this
> is running vdpau.
>
> top tells me right now mythfrontend.real is at 2% cpu and 14.2% memory
> and Xorg at 1%cpu and 4.5% memory. (thats idle). wait is at 0%.
>
> It has 1G ram of which 256M is allocated to video. Theme is arclight @ 1280x720.
>
> nvidia drivers 195.36.15.
>
> Why is my load average so high?

Because load average doesn't measure what most people think it does, probably.

http://luv.asn.au/overheads/NJG_LUV_2002/luvSlides.html

1.10 isn't -terribly- high. Yes, on a single core machine, it means
something is having to wait, but it may not be anything terribly
important. If you sit back and watch for half an hour, what does the
15 minute load average say?

- Chris