[mythtv-users] Recomedations

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Thu Jun 3 14:19:07 UTC 2010

> read http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore and it warns
> against partial restores without giving any reason why, it does say that
> a partial restore gives no benefits, but, I am assuming the setup and
> configuration data is held in the DB, and I'm assuming its faults in that
> data that are causing my problems...  if its not, then... well advice and
> guidance if people can.

Partial restores, and the benefits/disadvantages of them were just
discussed in the thread "cleaning my DB".  Even after a pretty long
thread, I still have yet to see a strong arguement against doing them
except that there is no performance gained and your setting yourself
up for a lot of work rebuilding your system.

I have done several partial restores without issue.  Just be sure you
have a solid backup of your database.  You can always do a full
restore if the partial restore fails.

Of course it is preferable to fix the problem rather than reconfigure
your entire setup.  It's probably my corporate Windows support
experience that has made me this way, but I am a fan of starting fresh
occasionally... it sets me at ease to know that nothing I did in the
past is gonna come back to haunt me.  And I also know that I can
typically rebuild my system faster than I can track down the solution
to obscure problems.