[mythtv-users] Is changing the source really necessary during LiveTV?

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Thu Jun 3 02:48:45 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-05-30 at 08:27 -0500, mythtv at derdev.com wrote:
> On Sun, 30 May 2010 12:41:52 +0000 (UTC), Nasa <nasa01 at comcast.net> wrote:
> So if I create listing, for each type of tuner, then you're saying I'll
> get a smart, integrated channel guide?  (between SD and HD?)

That's the idea.

> What happens when I add Comcast HD tuners that will overlap a few channels
> with the HDHRs?  Wouldn't I end up with duplicate listings for something
> like the local NBC affiliate?  How does that get addressed?

Any two channels with the same channel number and "callsign" will
be treated as a single channel in the UI whenever it is appropriate
to do so. While many listing sources will assign the channel number
and callsign for you during setup, these two fields are under your
control and so long as you don't have two channels on the same
"video source" with the same channel number everything will work.

The "callsign" is what the program recording scheduler uses to
determine which channels are equivalent for "channel" recording
rules, it's relation to radio callsigns is only of historic
significance. The channel number is what you type in to change
a channel, MythTV doesn't use that for tuning other than to
lookup the tuning information from the channel number you've
typed or selected.

-- Daniel