[mythtv-users] Ubuntu 10.04 PPA for 0.23?

Marc Randolph mrand at pobox.com
Wed Jun 2 23:23:31 UTC 2010

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 8:40 AM, Dan <dansto.well+myth at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Marc,
>
> Thanks for the response. I'll try not to get too far into this since
> it's an issue for the mythbuntu dev discussion, but I'll mention my
> feeling on some of the things you raise:

[...]
> Actually something like this:
>
> ~rc1+fixes24158
>
> (The tilde is important for sorting purposes)

Absolutely.  Sorry, I was focused on a different angle of the topic
and was just typing quickly at that point.  In summary, I
misunderstood you to be proposing only adding ~rc1 and I was saying
the +fixes24158 was needed at a minimum.

>>  But to be honest, does that really matter?
>> Maybe I"m wrong, but I'm not sure the majority of users *really* care
>> what the version string shows or means (be it rc or otherwise).
>
> Yes it does really matter. It's not about the number of users that
> care, it's about the version numbering being meaningful, so that
> people can refer to versions correctly in
> discussion/troubleshooting/etc and so that package upgrades can go
> smoothly. This is particularly important when people might be getting
> myth from different repositories.
>
> To be honest I'm a little bit worried that you put it in terms like
> the number of users who "care", I'm sure you understand that version
> numbering is important for these purposes...?

Certainly.  I didn't pose my query/statement properly.  My original
point which I didn't explain well was that since the repo doesn't have
rc1 in it (it was WELL beyond rc1), for technical discussions, I don't
believe the rc1 label adds much value over the +fixes24158.  The 24158
_is required_ if you are going to compare between repos, or against
upstream source tree.  Furthermore, ~rc1+fixes24158 has no meaning to
upstream.  rc1 was around fixes23779 or so, so rc1+fixes24158 is
almost like saying fixes23779+fixes24158 which seems very strange to
me.

But having said all that, I can see how ~rc1+fixes24158 would make it
clearer to those that care that fixes24158 was a release candidate for
0.23.0. not a final release.  As it stands right now, someone might
think that it is a final release plus some bug fixes.  That's
unfortunate.  So I thank you for making me think about this a bit
more.

As for you being worried, you have nothing to fear - there are much
more experienced people than I doing the packaging stuff!

>> Of course, you could make the argument that Lucid should have just
>> been released with 0.22 since 0.23 wasn't gold yet.  But between the
>> lack of analog tuning combined with other major bug fixes that were
>> not backported to 0.22, I personally think going 0.23 was the right
>> choice, even if it wasn't gold.  Some of the myth devs also agreed
>> that going with pre-released 0.23 over 0.22 was the right decision.
>
> This is always a tricky decision. 0.23 has some nice stuff in it (I'm
> thinking mainly of the cpu-hog fix!) so I'm personally happy that
> we're getting the shiny new version.
>
> Thanks for your work on mythbuntu!

I'm but a (very) small cog, but thank you.

Have fun!

   Marc