[mythtv-users] Hauppauge HVR-1600 Analog Tuner Issues

Marc Randolph mrand at pobox.com
Tue Jun 1 13:46:46 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 7:04 AM, Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org> wrote:

> If you got the correct output from dmesg then the firmware and everything
> *prior* to Mythtv is correct. If you have a /dev/video0 entry then the
> initial driver load is good. That leaves the setup in Mythtv.
> Looks like you have the wrong tuning standard. Go to 'Capture Cards' and
> make sure that you have 'US-cable' selected.
> Note that Analog Scan has been disabled for some time (iirc *very recent
> SVN trunk* has it re-enabled) so put SchedulesDirrct in as your source and
> let it retrieve your channels.
> Geoff
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Howdy all,

While it was pretty recently that analog channel scanning was fixed after
being disabled/broken for quite some time, this occured in svn trunk before
the 0.23 branch and release, so it should technically be working in 10.04
and certainly Lucid auto-builds.  Figuring out _how_ to make it do what you
want to do is something that some people have struggled with.

The Digital channel scanning re-write was included in the 0.22 release
(hence the breaking of analog scanning).

Having said all that (and to summarize what Nick said) if a cable box is
being used, channel scanning should not be used at all.  The cable box
outputs on only one channel (typically 3 or 4), as well as composite,
component, and/or s-video.  Instead of channel scanning, you obtain your
channel lineup from Schedules Direct (I think a free trial membership is
available so that you can verify everything is working before subscribing
for the token $20/year).

Have fun,

   Marc