[mythtv-users] UPnP, ripped DVD's, and the PS3

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Jun 1 00:03:30 UTC 2010

On Monday, May 31, 2010 05:45:06 pm Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 5/31/2010 19:37, Brian Wood wrote:
> >>
> >> There.  Fixed that for you.
> >
> > Hmmm. My Kill-a-Watt indicated 205 watts at idle, and 245-255 playing
> > back an HD file. I was playing back under Linux, using mplayer from the
> > command line, playing an NFS-mounted file, not the Sony UPnP client, I'm
> > not sure what if any difference that would make.
>
> This article was about three months after release, so probably running
> the release unit.
> http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-356-3.htm
> The official rated consumption on the release units was 'around 180
> watts'.  The slims are now around one third that.

Not to belabor this thread, but now that I think about it, since Linux on the PS3 has no access to the accelerated video
my measurement was with pure software decoding, almost certainly consuming more power than the Sony software, which
presumably can take advantage of the video hardware.

I read somewhere that Sony was accepting units with one subsidiary core bad, I know all of mine were working.

60 watts is certainly more reasonable than 180+.

Guess I'll see what my Revo is drawing, it certainly produces pictures that are as good as a PS3, at least to my eyes.

I use an Xbox-360 as a UPnP client at times, I don't know what it pulls, but I can feel the heat from it as I walk past
it.