[mythtv-users] Firewire captures but will not change channel

Jeff Artz jeffa.myth at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 15:50:50 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 11:40 AM, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin at gmail.com> wrote:

> ...  It is
> possible my box overheated and shut itself off.  I don't know why I
> can capture though but not change channels.  Seems like the firewire
> shouldn't partially be working.
>
> The ironic thing is that I can capture fine but can't use firewire to
> change the channels.  I know this is the exact opposite of what many
> people can do.

Gabe,

I use firewire to change channels on my Motorola QIP-7100s (FiOS) and
HD-PVRs for capture.  A couple of times my boxes have locked up and not
responded to channel changes or IR, but happily kept the same channel tuned,
resulting in many 'wrong' recordings of the channel they were on when
this occurred.

I suspect it was due to heat, since we've had some very hot weather this
summer in the NorthEast, and I don't have A/C in my home.  And even though
my MythTV Backend server is in the basement, it still got into the high 80's
(or even hotter) in my basement when the temps went up to or over 100
outside...

To recover, I had to forcibly power off the boxes by pulling the power cords
(They did not respond to the front panel buttons either).  I have also had a
couple of issues with the HD-PVRs, apparently due to heat as well - but
power-cycling them via their front-panel power button worked (I didn't have
to pull the power manually).

So I currently have a fan blowing on the two cable boxes and HD-PVRs 24x7,
and have not had a problem since.  (A week or two now).   I suspect once the
temps cool back down again, I won't need the fan anymore, but perhaps I'll
still keep it, or set it up with a thermostat just to be safe...  ;-)

J-e-f-f-A