[mythtv-users] Alternative to Mac Mini?

Christopher Kerr mythtv at theseekerr.com
Tue Jul 27 06:53:27 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 1:21 PM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:
> Seriously, what, in a similar form-factor, besides the Dell Studio
> Hybrid and Dell Zino HD (neither of which has nvidia graphics)
> actually comes close to competing with the new mac mini? If ATI
> graphics didn't blow chunks, the Zino would be interesting, though I'm
> not sure an athlon neo is any better than an intel atom.

Pretty much nothing. For somebody determined to run a combined BE/FE
in a small footprint, it's quite possibly the best option going.

That said, I can buy an Ion frontend for $320AUD (they're slightly
expensive over here, for some reason), and easily get a decent backend
together with the remaining $680AUD (base Mini here is $999). In my
opinion, the extra complexity is worth it just to get away from using
a laptop-style HDD in a backend. Although having Firewire 800 on the
Mini provides an interesting option there, too.

I hadn't thought of that until just then....so say $1200AUD, once
you've added a 1.5TB drive and a firewire enclosure.

I'd be tempted to recommend that setup to someone who wanted an
"appliance" MythTV setup....but then I'd have to justify the $400ish
premium over an "equivalent" Tivo.

- Chris