[mythtv-users] MythMusic interface

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Sat Jul 24 00:39:17 UTC 2010

Just a quick followup.  This is real easy to setup.  I will likely add
some tweaks to get this going better:

1) Install squeezeboxserver. I have a combined FE/BE, so I put it on
that.  I used the instructions here:
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Category:Installation_Guide_Pages.
 Specifically, I used the SqueezeServer Server RPM instructions.  It
gives directions to install via Yum on Fedora.

2) Point your web browswer to host.where.server.installed port 9000
(for me: http://192.168.1.101:9000/).  I don't see any reason to open
this port on my router.  Doubt I will ever want to remotely control my
stereo when I am not home.  ThHe first time you do this, it will run
through config options.  I created an account, don't know if that is
needed.

3) Install SqueezeSlave, a non-gui emulator of the squeezebox
software.  You can get it here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/softsqueeze/files/  I installed the
latest version and just downloaded the binary.  I uncompressed the
tarball and copied the squeezeslave-lnx24-alsa file to /usr/bin/ and
called it squeeze.

4) Login as mythtv, execute squeeze, play music from the web interface.

Future tweaks:
It appears that you can have squeeze running at all times, so I will
probably modify my mythtv startup script to include that.  If I can't,
then I will have a button call up squeeze using irexec.
I will check out SqueezePlay, the gui version, but doubt I will use
it.  The whole purpose of this was to be able to control things from
the web.
It would be nice if I could get some visualizations or something.  I
will check out the mythtv plugin, but for now, that seems to
complicated for me to setup.