[mythtv-users] Where does Myth Backend Setup get its channel list?

MarcT myrdhn at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 11:56:42 UTC 2010

I do use that tool, but not for channel scans. I use it to extract the call
signs, channel ID's and subchannel ID's so I can
untangle the mess that a full channel scan makes.

But that tool does not scan all of the channels, it only gives you the ones
that they send to the cheap SD set top boxes, none
of the HD channels, and none of the channels they are giving by accident.
Also since I am on limited basic, it says I have all
the extended basic channels that I don't, the ones that are killed by the
filter in the line, and the ones that are encrypted by
the cheap encryption handled by the cheap SD set top box.

I also can not use that since I have 5 different channel lists. I have 5
tuners, one on an antenna aimed northwest, one on an
antenna aimed south, and the other three on cable. But one of the three on
cable is a ATI HDTV Wonder, so it has to have a
separate channel list from the HDHome Runs. If you are keeping count, I have
only accounted for 4 of the channel lists, the
fifth channel list is for the analog part of the ATI HDTV Wonder that I have
never gotten to work.

My vague understanding of that long complicated set of instructions for
scte65scan makes me believe that method for using
scte65scan for automatically updating the channel list only works for
HDHomeRun tuners, and then only if there is only one
channel list. Given that it usually takes a full day to untangle the mess
that a full channel scan makes of the channel list,
and the fact that the channel editor for mythweb is borked right now, I do
not feel like risking the several hundred correctly
set up channels I now have by attempting to do an automated scan with
scte65scan.

Now, if I can figure out what is borked with the mythbackendsetup channel
scan and get that fixed, I can do a scan from channel
95 to channel 95, and a scan from channel 99 to channel 99 and have just the
channels that need it added to my channel list, and
then I only have to edit 26 channels (one sub channel for channel 95, 12 sub
channels for 99, and do this for both tuner types).

Besides, I thought attempting to fix a bug was a good idea.

Fixing bugs is good, but you should submit a bug if it is one.
Personally I have never used the channel scanner because it never identified
everything for me. And that's not because channels were missing but because
it would find the channels and then do 88-3, 88-4, etc..
I forgot the tool only identifies the lower channels. Sometime last year I
used it identified them and their frequencies, multiplexes, etc, which they
have now encrypted so I deleted most of them.
As for the higher channels that turn into 200 - 900 on the cable box, I
identified them all using external tools and manually added them to the
database.

I know, it doesn't help you.

MarcT