[mythtv-users] Hardware setup

Jim Morton Jim at Morton.hrcoxmail.com
Thu Jul 22 20:51:53 UTC 2010

rrdavis at gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am looking at building a mythtv box for OTA HD recording. I have
> browsed the internet for recommendations for such a setup. I will not
> be splitting the setup with a front end and back end so I will need to
> have this system relatively quiet.
>
> I was originally thinking of the following setup:
>

> Case: Antec NSK2480
> MB: Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H
> CPU: Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5300
> RAM: Kingston ValueRAM 2GB
> HD: Western Digital Green 1TB
> DRIVE: LG GH22 SATA CD/DVD±RW Writer
> CAPTURE: SiliconDust HDHomeRun Network-based Dual Digital HDTV Tuner
> Ethernet Interface - Retail

I suggest 4GB of RAM if you will be commercial flagging. Mine has 4GB
and uses every bit of it. That CPU should be able to comm flag several
shows simultaneously in real time. Might be a little overkill but I'd
rather have more  and not need it than the other way around.
It's also common to install the os on a small(ish) hard disk and record
to a different one. It seems video is rather hard on drives so it makes
sense to separate the two. I have a 120 GB for the os and 3 x 1 TB
drives for video.

--
Jim