[mythtv-users] Backend consolidation, round 3.

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 16:24:07 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 2:21 AM, Clay <ctmythtv at pacbell.net> wrote:

> Nick Rout wrote:

>>> Doesn't matter anyway... I see the PVR-150s get random assignments every
>>> time I reboot. If I ever get this pos close enough to call it good I'll
>>> be
>>> exploring udev rules (and never restarting or updating...)
>>>

>> I can see you are understandably frustrated.
>>
>> A couple of pointers arising out of your last two messages:
>>
>> 1. mythbuntu runs with mythbackend running as user mythtv. user mythtv
>> is a member of the video group and your setup shows that group has rw
>> access to /dev/video{0,1,2}
>>
>> 2. it also runs with the user you create on install running
>> mythfrontend. So the backend and frontend run as different users.
>>

> Not anymore! *g*
>

>> 3.  You have 3 /dev/video{0,1,2} - do you have 3 pvr150s or is there
>> another device which comes up as /dev/videoN ?? If so then the order
>> they come up in can indeed be a problem. If you have a webcam or
>> something, unplug it until you sort everything else then adjust your
>> udev rules so you get consistent naming.
>>

> (2) PVR-150s. Nothing else on this box. When I set them up last night,
> -setup found them at /video0 and /video1. Tonight they're at /video1 (or2?)
> and /video3.
> Next restart they'll be something different... Dapper never screwed them
> around this way...
> I haven't even begun to mess with udev rules. Never needed them in the
> past. It's almost easier just to fix the setup when (if) I reboot...
>

>> 4. I am not familiar with ATSC cards, but I do have DVB-S cards. The
>> do not create /dev/videoX nodes, but rather /dev/dev/adapterX nodes
>> (that have other dirs and nodes below too). Again you may be getting
>> naming issues depending what order they come up in.
>>

> /dev/dvb/adapterX/frontend0
> -setup is detecting them correctly, for now...
>
> These are DVB-C cards. Kworld calls theirs ATSC115.
> <http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/KWorld_ATSC_115>
> <http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/AVerMedia_AVerTVHD_MCE_A180>
>  ...there was a time when I could get ATSC with these cards, and many other
> channels, but upgrades 'fixed' that.

I don't know much about mythbuntu, but be sure you're not loading the
"analog" drivers for your DVB cards.  This can cause the /dev/video devices
for them to appear in addition to or instead of the /dev/dvb nodes.  And
depending on the order the cards are detected, this will move your PVR-150
devices.  I've never been good at understanding the udev rules so I've
always used the ivtv_first_minor=X option in my modprobe.conf (not even sure
if that still exists these days on newer distros) which causes the IVTV
driver to always start at the /dev/videoX device.  I'm not sure if you use
=1 if it uses /dev/video1 or if it is zero based, or what.  Just try it and
see.  I typically use this to set the value higher than the number of other
tuners in my system so that no matter what other drivers load, my IVTV nodes
are always the same.

Kevin