[mythtv-users] HD Homerun Prime with MythTV

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Jul 21 14:53:37 UTC 2010

On Wednesday, July 21, 2010 08:49:12 am Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 9:43 AM,  <mythtv at derdev.com> wrote:
> > Of course, if HDHR Prime is a real game changer and lots of other PVR/DVR
> > projects jump on it, then yeah, that might attract the kind of attention
> > that alters their available options.
>
> I somehow doubt that the HDHR Prime will sell more units than the
> already existing cable card enabled TiVo units that have been
> available for years.

Perhaps not, but the HDHR solution will require less of an initial cash layout, a major factor with consumers these days.

In order for a consumer to go this route, they must:

Be aware of it.

Be willing to spend the cash

Be capable of getting it set up, or getting their cable company to do so.

I suspect 1 and 3 will be the major stumbling blocks, especially #1. It's for certain their cable provider won't tell them
about it.