[mythtv-users] HD Homerun Prime with MythTV

mythtv at derdev.com mythtv at derdev.com
Wed Jul 21 13:43:22 UTC 2010

On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 09:29:07 -0400, bhaskins <bhaskins at chartermi.net>
wrote:
> Eric Sharkey wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 6:28 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com>
>> wrote:

>>> If you have firewire changing working, and cannot get capture working,
>>> then
>>> it is very likely you simply have no 'copy-freely' content.
>>>

>> I've been struggling with it for two years.
>>
>> It's not the case that the channels are marked as no-copy.  I can get
>> to the diagnostic screen for the STB and it shows that 5C is disabled
>> for the channels I'm trying to record, it's just very hit or miss as
>> far as what I actually get.  Some channels seem to record perfectly
>> all the time.  Others record perfectly sometimes, and other times
>> record only partially.  I might get 17 minutes on a 30 minute
>> recording, or 3 minutes, or 12 minutes or who knows what.  I've come
>> not to depend on anything recording over firewire and would switch to
>> a HDHR prime in a heartbeat.  I don't know what they cost, but they
>> have to be *way* cheaper than 3x HD STB rental plus 3x HDPVR.
>>
> My experience is very similar to yours.
> Trust me, I'm not trying to sound like a smartass here,
> but do we really think that the cable companies will give up what they
see
> as a $360/year (3)STB rental for a $36/year ( (3)Mcard ) rental?
> These guys operate on a "ratchet" business plan, more money for less
value
> and they will not allow either to go in the other direction and they
> control
> the Mcard.

I think in other discussions we've humbly/realistically established that
the Myth user community is small potatoes to the cable co's.
No, I don't thing that they would endorse customers to trade down
deliberately for 10% of revenue, but they are also unlikely to notice if
the Myth community makes that trade down in light of the general cableco
customer base.

Of course, if HDHR Prime is a real game changer and lots of other PVR/DVR
projects jump on it, then yeah, that might attract the kind of attention
that alters their available options.

Meantime, the FCC fiddles and local municipalities participate
(un-)willingly in monopoly lock-in at the expense of choice and
competition.  Blah Blah Blah... sorry, let's end this thread fork now...