[mythtv-users] HD-PVR Channel Changing Inquiry

Larry K lunchtimelarry at gmail.com
Sat Jul 17 12:50:08 UTC 2010

Since Comcast hosed pretty much all my unencrypted QAM (except the networks,
of course), I just picked up an HD-PVR, another STB, and have been reading
through all the materials I can find.

On this wiki -> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Hauppauge_HD-PVR

There is ambiguous language about how to effect channel changes.  At one
point, it talks about how to configure a channel change script "if you care
about changing channels".  Seems like any HD-PVR user would care about that,
right?  Then, near the bottom, under the section entitled *"*Steps to Enable
IR Transmitter*"*, it states that even with IR up and running, I will still
need a channel change script.  Is this true?  If so, what is the point of
IR?  To just power the STB up and down?  That seems hardly worth the effort
of configuring IR.  Did I miss something here?   Anyway, if I need a
separate channel change script, where can that be found, and if there are
variants on that, where can I find the one most commonly used?  Do these
channel changing scripts operate over firewire?  or over the USB cable?
 Seems like these important details are missing from the wiki, or maybe I
just got up late this morning :)

I am happy to update the wiki based on whatever feedback I can get here...

Larry