[mythtv-users] Which blaster should I use?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Jul 16 16:54:12 UTC 2010

On Friday, July 16, 2010 10:47:26 am Calvin Harrigan wrote:
> On 7/16/2010 12:03 PM, Brian Wood wrote:
> >> Not necessarily -- some do, some don't. And most (but not all) digital
> >> cameras pick up IR, so even that's not a 100%-sure test. Test your
> >> camera by using it to look at the end of your remote while pressing
> >> buttons.

> >> Again, depends on the blaster. Some are powerful enough their light
> >> bounces around nearby objects to reach the receiver. Others need to be
> >> attached to the IR window of the device being controlled.
> >
> > Generally the blasters that are powered by the handshaking lines of a
> > serial port have very limited IR output, and need to be attached very
> > close to the receiver.
> >
> > Blasters that have their own power supply (usually a wall wart) can
> > output a lot more IR energy, my MyBlaster can be in the next room and
> > not LOS and still work well.
>
> Really!?!  Are you trying to get a tan at the same time?

No, my 60 Ghz. wireless graphics card link takes care of that :-) Also helps to cook meals.

I think you'll find that many "normal" remote controls, powered by AA or AAA cells, can work from the next room, using the
"bounce" effect referred to above.

I just wanted to point out that blasters using the serial port as a power source have very limited output, there's just
not that much power available.