[mythtv-users] Equipment needed for DishTv to Myth

Ajay Sharma ajayrockrock at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 18:01:57 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 6:02 AM, Jim Morton <Jim at morton.hrcoxmail.com> wrote:
>> >From the MythTV wiki, the LIRC website, and past researches, if the
>> HD-PVR solution doesn't work for you, here are several IR Blaster
>> alternatives, depending on how many STBs you need to control:
>>  Microsoft makes (made?) a good USB transceiver (send x 2 & receive
>> IIRC) that can be had from e-bay and maybe from newegg. (I have one of
>> these, but never used the transmit side and need more than one to meet
>> my needs ;-(
>>
>> IguanaIR makes USB units that can control up to 4 STBs
>>  see: http://iguanaworks.net/
>>  and see possibly helpful recent myth mailing list thread:
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/441797
>>
>> CommandIR makes USB and/or PCI slot units.  Current CommandIR II is
>> out of production and CommandIR III is not yet finished.  The III will
>> support up to 8 independent transmitters (8x STB) and a receiver [for
>> listening to your handheld remote(s)]
>>  see: http://www.commandir.com
>>
>> Home Electronics makes a USB transceiver (1 send + 1 receive) and a
>> serial port receive-only unit (I have one of the latter)
>>  see: http://www.home-electro.com
>>

> Thanks for all these leads! These would be *if I can't* make the HD-PVR IR
> blaster work, correct?
> If *I can* make it work don't I need a transmitter, or does that come with
> the HD-PVR?

Yes, the HD-PVR has a transmitter, people have gotten it to work, and
it's documented on the wiki how to turn it on.

If you *can't* get it to work, then you'll need one of the products
above.  I've had success with the IguanaIR for the day when I expand
my setup to include multiple STB's.  But right now my old trusty
MyBlaster is still chugging along.

OT:  Seriously, there's a bunch of smart people here.  Can't we crack
open that MyBlaster and rebuild it?  Changing channels on a dish box
is the biggest PITA when it comes to Myth systems and the MyBlaster
made everything so easy.

--Ajay