[mythtv-users] World of pain migrating to "Storage Groups"

George Nassas gnassas at mac.com
Wed Jul 14 17:14:16 UTC 2010

On 2010-07-14, at 12:15 PM, Joseph Fry wrote:

> Using SMB or NFS is all fine and dandy, if you want to set it up.  But then you need to NOT use storage groups and use local paths for all videos... which is not ideal.

Why do you need to NOT use storage groups? For each FE the local mount points become the entries in that machine's Videos storage group, the database stores relative paths which work across all machines and everybody is happy. That's how I see it anyway.

A few years back (like maybe 5) there were discussions about streaming vs local mounting and I think people found local mounts won out over streaming decisively. Things may have changed or my memory might be failing me but I've always looked at myth streaming as the second class solution.

- George