[mythtv-users] World of pain migrating to "Storage Groups"

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Wed Jul 14 16:15:43 UTC 2010

> > I would love it if someone made a myth protocol virtual file system.
> So,
> > for example, I could mount my myth storage groups to a path on my system
> > and
> > have all of it's content appear as though it were local.  Seems like it
> > would be do-able (though I wouldn't have the first clue where to start
> > myself).
>
> To connect to my NAS for my dedicated BE and FEs - should work for any
> network shared folders (NFS, SMB)
>
> On each FE I create folder /shares/ and then use symbolic links
>
> /shares/movies -> /mnt/nas/movies
> /shares/music -> /mnt/nas/music
> /shares/pics -> /some/network/or/local/folder
> ....etc....
>
> Then I configure the BE/FEs to use the folders in /shares/ for content.
> Thus the configuration is simple and repeatable.  The configuration also
> isn't concerned whether the details in /etc/fstab/ change for the
> mount/share.
>
> HTH.

Not exactly what I had in mind.  Using SMB or NFS is all fine and dandy, if
you want to set it up.  But then you need to NOT use storage groups and use
local paths for all videos... which is not ideal.

What I would like to see is a myth:// based file system that uses the myth
protocol to mount the available storage groups on the local system.  I am
not sure how the myth protocol works currently, or how this would be
accomplished, but I'm sure it could be made to work, though I suspect that
the protocol would need to be updated to present the video as a file rather
than a stream.