[mythtv-users] Irratic PVR250 ivtv module load - Ubuntu

Brad Fuller bradallenfuller at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 02:02:35 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 18:04, Brad Fuller <bradallenfuller at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sometimes PVR250 shows up fine after re-boot and sometimes mythsetup
> thinks I want pcHDTV3000 as an ivtv device.
> I've set it up for PVR250, but after reboot sometimes that device is a
> pcHDTV3000.
>
> Why?
>
> Is this an order of module loading? I do have a separate pcHDTV3000,
> and it works fine. What can I do so that the PVR250 will be a proper
> device in mythtv setup?

I remember in the past I had a problem that sounds similar but with a
different system. My system would boot with PVR250 at a random video
device. It would be either /dev/video0 or /dev/video1. I think this
was a module loading order problem. Don't remember how I fixed it and
this must've been 2-3 years ago.

This problem seems different since the symptom is that when going to
mythtv-setup, my PVR-250 setting is gone, and in its place is the
pcHDTV3000 pointing to the device that the PVR250 was  pointing to.

But, it seems that this is actually the same problem but mythtv-setup
is showing it differently than before.

Anyway, it looks like the pvr250 is actually there, just not at the
right device. How can I get PVR250 to always be at /dev/video0?  The
web and mythtv wiki has some old documentation on this. A _fairly_
recent report (2006) says that I could add this:

/etc/modules.d/aliases.conf:
	alias char-major-81 videodev
	options ivtv ivtv_first_minor=2

Is that still good? If I change the 2 to 1 will it still work? I can't
really test it since I don't know if I reboot that it just randomly
goes back to device 0.

Thanks!

brad