[mythtv-users] Many new dvd's not working

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Jul 12 21:54:44 UTC 2010

On Monday, July 12, 2010 03:38:55 pm Neil Salstrom wrote:

> That is a very good idea and a list could be maintained of broken
> titles.  I wish I would have still had an old player laying around
> that I could have tried the disc in.
>
> > The main thing is to get a licensed player of some sort that exhibits the
> > "problem", until then we are talking about trying to do something in
> > violation of the licenses, namely, play a DVD on an unlicensed player,
> > but if we can show a licensed product is having problems we have a case.
>
> What constitutes an unlicensed player?  If a non-OEM computer drive is
> sold and listed as reading DVD's would that make a case?

I don't know, IANAL, but there is a difference between "reading data" from a DVD and "playing" video contained on it.

AFAIK it's not the drive that is licensed, it's the player software. I notice my computer-type DVD drives do not have the
"DVD Video" logo that my standalone player has, though precisely what that might mean I am not sure of. I suspect it means
the player, absent the drive, is what's actually licensed.

IN a way that's good, it means I can replace the actual drive in the player without the drive itself needing to be
"licensed".