[mythtv-users] Many new dvd's not working

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Mon Jul 12 04:57:30 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 07:48:00PM -0600, Brian Wood wrote:
> On Sunday, July 11, 2010 06:42:39 pm David Snider wrote:
>

> > > earlier I finally got fed up and started using DVDFab HD Decrypter:
> > dumpstream does give you the raw vob files, but, on the DVD's I've not been
> > able to rip, it's been because the first 2MB of the movie file is plain
> > garbage that MythTV and MPlayer can't get past.  On those DVD's what I see
> > is that mplayer or myth seems to hang, or give read errors.  By skipping
> > the first 2 MB-ish of garbage (with -sb) that was intentionally placed
> > there by the manufacturer, (and regular DVD Players seem to ignore), the
> > video plays just fine.
>
> Some random thoughts:
>
> A key question, IMHO, is why the commercial players handle this sort of thing.

   I think this boils down to the commercial players following a path through
the IFO files based on the end user actually navigating the DVD through the
standard menu rather than trying to treat the DVD as raw data.

   I think this is why VLC can navigate the menus of a "broken" DVD even when
tools like vobcopy or even "mplayer -dumpstream" will choke.

[deletia]