[mythtv-users] Many new dvd's not working

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Jul 12 03:26:57 UTC 2010

On Sunday, July 11, 2010 09:05:32 pm David Whyte wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 11:48 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> > But those of us in the USA should probably be careful. I know there have
> > been attempts to get a licensed DVD player for Linux, they somehow seem
> > to have disappeared, I'm not sure why, probably because Linux users are,
> > as everyone knows, a "bunch of pirates" because they refuse to pay for
> > Windows, so they are obviously dangerous radical characters.
>
> Don't Dell's Ubuntu machines come with DVD playing software (as in a
> proprietary and licensed copy).  It may be interesting to know if such
> software has the same problems.  Could the decrypting libraries in it
> be used in an player such as mythTV?

That's essentially what I'd like to see: A licensed commercial "player" that has the problem, then it becomes a
"legitimate" complaint.

Of course you'd have to read the license, probably written in the "Enron Beelzebub font".

Remember that the MPAA is the outfit that wanted to put a teenager in prison because he had exposed their idiocy, these are
not people that play fair.