[mythtv-users] World of pain migrating to "Storage Groups"

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Mon Jul 12 01:52:12 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 6:29 PM, Kingsley Turner <krt at krt.com.au> wrote:

>  G'day,
>
> My MythWeb was simply giving me the response:
>
>     "Mythweb now requires the storage group Videos"
>
> So i delved into the the database and gave it one:
>
> mysql> select * from storagegroup;
> +----+------------+----------+--------------------------------+
> | id | groupname  | hostname | dirname                        |
> +----+------------+----------+--------------------------------+
> |  1 | Default    | mediabox | /home/kingsley/MythTV/         |
> |  3 | LiveTV     | mediabox | /home/kingsley/MythTV/LiveTV/  |
> |  4 | DB Backups | mediabox | /home/kingsley/MythTV_Backups/ |
> |  5 | Videos     | mediabox | /home/kingsley/Video           |
> +----+------------+----------+--------------------------------+
>
> So after doing this and checking the permissions of every video file, I now
> get this:
>
> Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to
> allocate 4096 bytes) in /usr/share/mythtv/mythweb/includes/translate.php on
> line 142
>
> I changed the memory limit in php.ini to 256M (from 128M), this didn't seem
> to help.  It does look like a ~30M is somehow being used too.
>
> Also now a separate side-effect problem happened:  In the front end video
> browser, I have two new "top level" directories "video" and "Videos".  if
> the first one is selected it looks exactly the same as the other, except you
> can't play anything.  Selecting "Videos" works as per normal.  I guess
> "Videos"  is the storage group, but I'm not sure where "video" came from,
> and how can it see all the files, yet not play them??!
>
> As far as I can understand, Storage Groups is to allow *Recordings* to get
> placed on different drives.  Any suggestions as to why all this static-file
> stuff is now in a world of pain ?
>
> The WAF score plummetted with that "video" folder thing where you couldn't
> play anything, I can tell you.  I got the whole "Why do you have to keep
> tinkering with it" speech  :(   She never uses the MythWeb, so it being
> broken wasn't a problem.

There's a good explanation of Storage Groups in MythVideo in the wiki

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythvideo#Storage_Groups

<http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythvideo#Storage_Groups>The simple answer is,
blank out the path in the frontend configuration and MythVideo will only use
the Storage Group folder defined on the backend (and thus simplifying the
frontend configuration in the long run)

Kevin