[mythtv-users] Design a low cost, dual tuner, one box solution

David Lasker dave at altosdesign.com
Sun Jul 11 20:47:59 UTC 2010

Most Atom 330 MB's have a PCI Express slot. You could use something like a
Hauppauge HVR-2200 DVB-T card in that slot.

I just completed building my first system for MythTV. I am in the US, but I
don't think the UK situation is much different.

Originally I wanted to use an Atom 330/ION board. Then I realized I needed
to have a 2nd expansion slot for an analogue input card. I found I could
combine a low-end uATX card with integrated (non-Nvidia) HDMI, with a CPU
powerful enough to make up for the lack of VDPAU, for less money than an ION
board.

In my case, I also wanted optical S/PDIF audio output, which really limited
my choices. I chose an Intel DG43GT board with an Intel E6300 (2.8
ghz/1066FSB) CPU, which together cost less than a Zotac IONITX board. When
playing 1080P H.264 Flash video, the CPU utilization is at about 65%, so I
have lots of capacity left for other tasks.

If you don't need S/PDIF then there are even cost boards available. Look for
those for AMD or Intel LGA775 processors.

Hope that helps...

Dave