[mythtv-users] Frontend can't play video over wifi (G) network

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Jul 11 17:01:25 UTC 2010

On Sunday, July 11, 2010 10:42:36 am Mir Islam wrote:
> Hi all, it's been a while since I last looked at MythTV. Now I am trying
> to setup my whole house with MythTV so that I can get away from paying
> 130+ for AT&T UVerse (A good service but overpriced).
>
> Anyway, this is my setup.
>
> Backend: Intel quad core (2.6ghz) with 6 Gig of RAM
> Frontend: Various machines (Apple MacBook Pro etc..)
>
> Problem seems to be that when I am connecting to Myth backend over Wi-Fi
> network it is completely unusable. Frontend fails to load video and
> eventually errors out giving a video buffering error. This is for both
> live tv and also previously recorded shows. My assumption is that due to
> huge size of each file backend is not able to stream the file fast
> enough for frontend to display it properly. Is there an option to
> convert it to H.264 or  some other format that will take less space and
> will be faster to stream? Or wireless network is completely inadequate
> for network TV watching?

Wireless is simply not a reliable to move video around.

Some people will tell stories about great successes, but those will be just happy instances, and may start to fail as more
neighbors acquire WiFi gear, microwave ovens, cordless phones or other devices that use the "free for all" that 2.4 Ghz.
has become.

You might try something other than 2.4Ghz., but there are still no guarantees, except the fact that CAT-5 cable will
almost certainly work very well.