[mythtv-users] Anyone archiving to Blu-Ray Disks?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Jul 8 12:49:24 UTC 2010

On Wednesday, July 07, 2010 06:02:00 pm Robert McNamara wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 4:58 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> > I'm not looking to play back commercial BR disks, just archive my
> > recordings, and be able to play them back, or at least recover them.
>
> There is no open source Blu-ray muxing software whatsoever yet.
> You'll need to wait on that before anyone can attempt to incorporate
> this kind of functionality into myth.

Why would I need muxing software? At the very least I should be able to just burn the video files to a BR disk, and I could
recover them on the machine with the BR burner, right?

Are you saying that I would need muxing software to create a BR disk playable on a consumer player? Since a BR player can
play back a DVD, why couldn't it play back a DVD type file stored on a BR disk?

Please forgive me if I am missing something obvious, but I would think I only need muxing software if I want to create a
BR type file structure, HD with DTS audio, but I don't see why I couldn't just use the same file I would use to burn a DVD
with.