[mythtv-users] Where did mythconverg_restore.pl go?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Jul 7 01:35:09 UTC 2010

  On 07/06/2010 11:36 AM, Clay wrote:
> Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>  On 07/06/2010 12:19 AM, Nick Rout wrote:
>>> or if for some reason it is not there the wiki page has a direct link
>>> to the current version in svn:
>>>
>>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore
>>
>> You're better off with the trunk version linked from the wiki page,
>> anyway--even for those users on 0.23-fixes whose distros provide
>> mythconverg_restore.pl, it makes sense to download
>> mythconverg_restore.pl to your home directory and use it.  There are
>> changes in the trunk version which make restoring a database much
>> easier and less likely to break your distro's MySQL permissions
>> configuration.
>>
>> Therefore, I highly recommend that anyone who's using
>> mythconverg_restore.pl download the current one as described
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore .
>>
>> Specifically,
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Replacing_an_existing_database.
>> I did end up grabbing the current one from the wiki.
> The --drop-database --create-database (or whatever they were) switches
> didn't work for me so I used the mc.sql to create the empty DB.

Yeah, --drop-database --create-database will only work if a mythconverg
database already exists, so perhaps there was none?  It's primary
purpose is to prevent problems when a distro creates a database and
database user and specifies a password/permissions for that user.  Since
mc.sql creates a user and password, it can break the distro-expected
permissions and cause problems, so --drop-database --create-database
just allow the user to ignore the whole database permissions issue.  But
if you've got it all working, having used mc.sql isn't a problem (it's
actually the way you were supposed to do things in 0.23-fixes and below).

Glad you've got it working.

Mike