[mythtv-users] Need help with Hauppauge HRV-1600 IR Blaster and lirc_zilog in Mythbuntu .23/10.04

David Lasker dave at altosdesign.com
Sat Jul 3 03:41:09 UTC 2010

I am really close, so I hope someone can help me finish the race without
having to buy a MCE USB remote...

I am building my first MythTv system. I got the Hauppauge HVR-1600 kit with
the IR remote, receiver, and blaster, on the mistaken impression that they
would be easy to get working in Linux.

Here is what I did:

1) I started with fresh install of mythbuntu 0.23/10.04. I could see that
the analog and digital tuners of the HVR-1600 were recognized, but the
remote was not working.

2) I was easily able to make the IR receiver and remote work by modifying
/etc/lirc/hardware.conf to add ir_kbd_i2c to REMOTE_MODULES and
/dev/input/event9 to REMOTE_DEVICE. Then I used "Edit Keys" to remap the
keys that were not working. So receiving is fine, but I need to make the IR
blaster work.

2) I found lots of posts pointing me to lirc_pvr150, but I concluded that
was too out of date to work with Ubuntu 10.04.

3) I found this article in Jarod Wilson's blog: http://wilsonet.com/?p=40
that looks very relevant.

4) I am pretty much a noob when it comes to Linux kernels and drivers, but I
found this post:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1294825&highlight=zilog+lirc&page=7
which seems to be an easy way to build lirc_zilog by patching lirc source
code. I did that, and also  copied over Mark Weaver's firmware and
lircd.conf files.

5) I do a "modprobe lirc_zilog". I can see in dmesg that the driver is
successfully loading its firmware, but I don't see any evidence that it
recognized my HVR-1600. When I restart /etc/init.d/lirc, I see errors like
this:

   error in configfile line 30938:
   "2195390514" is out of range

Can anyone give me some advice on what to look for, or how to proceed?

Please note that everything is currently from the stock mythbuntu install
with the sole exception of the lirc patch to create lirc_zilog. Do I need to
update anything else from source?

Is lirc_zilog supposed to handle the receiving as well as the blasting? Or
will I continue to use ir-kbd-i2c for receiving? What should be in my lirc
hardware.conf?

Or is there a better way to do this without using lirc_zilog?

Thanks for the help!

Dave