[mythtv-users] Audio on HDMI with Nvidia ION

Robert Parker theparkers.mailbox at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 08:29:21 UTC 2010

I had a similar problem with MythDora 12.23 on Asrock ION 330. I found
that to get the HDMI audio output working you need to unmute the
S/PDIF using the alsamixer and ensure the HDMI is the default audio.

Run the alsamixer utility, use the right arrow key to highlight S/PDIF
and press M to unmute.

Then create a $HOME/.asoundrc in home directory to set HDMI to be the default:

# #  contents of .asoundrc # #
pcm.!default {
  type plug
  slave.pcm "hdmi"
}

Run "speaker-test -D default" command to check default audio. I never
did get to understand the differences between "aplay -l" and "aplay
-L".

Let me know if that works for you.