[mythtv-users] Question about DTA box usage

Brent Meyer brent.meyer at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 18:09:11 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 10:49 AM, Harry Devine <lifter89 at comcast.net> wrote:
> I'm in the Atlantic City, NJ area and just picked up my DTA boxes yesterday
> for the TVs in the bedrooms.  My main TV in the living room has the HD
> motorola STB and that's where my combined FE/BE reside (so the HD-PVR is
> getting much usage now).  The fe/be has my pcHDTV 5500 card in it, which is
> now all but obsolete due to the "enhancements" from Comcast.
>
> But I started thinking about this and was wondering if it is feasible: could
> I hook up 1 of those DTA boxes to the pcHDTV card and still capture the
> recordings that it used to provide me on the basic 2-99 channels?  If it can
> be done, are there any specific issues or wiring considerations?
>
> Thanks for any info,
> Harry

Hi Harry,

The HD-5500 has an analog tuner that works fine in Myth, so you can
still use your HD-5500 to capture analog video from the DTA box. There
is, however, a big caveat--you'll need a way to change channels on the
DTA box (that is, you'll need an IR blaster of some sort, and you'll
need to configure lirc to talk to the DTA).

You can also use your HD-5500 to pull your local HD stations over
cable, which are unencrypted by law.

The wiki has information on setting up both the analog and digital
tuners on your HD-5500 (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/PcHDTV_HD-5500).

Thanks,

Brent