[mythtv-users] Converting h264 recordings

Stephen Sassman sassman1 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 17:12:12 UTC 2010

> Step 1: In myth, do a transcode, with
> Autodetect (not Default. For some reason
> Default wouldn't work...)
>
>Step 2: Set cutpoints and run a User Job
> with a slightly modified mythnuv2mkv.sh
> script. (I had to change the default
> aspect ratio and add an extra elif to
> "do the right thing" when INWIDTH=0 and
> INHEIGHT=0...)

What do you mean by "do a transcode"? If the only purpose is to get it
into an mkv, wouldn't it be easier to just use mkvmerge? If you want to
cut commercials, that's another story. Since there is no good way (yet)
to edit x264 video lossless in linux, I have been using ffmpeg to
convert the video to xvid with a high bitrate (6000-10000k) and copy the
ac3 audio. Then I can edit that file and reconvert back to x264 with
avidemux. It takes a long time, but the final video is excellent quality
with 5.1 surround sound AND perfect audio sync.

For videos where I just need to cut at the beginning and the end, the
hdpvr_lossless_cut.sh script from here
(http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User:Iamlindoro) works beautifully. Not sure
why it doesn't work when there are lots of commercials.

Also, there is a patch for nuvexport
(http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/400292) that is
supposed to make it work with hdpvr recordings. That would automate my
x264-->xvid conversion with commercial cutting, but I have yet to try it.