[mythtv-users] Basic questions of newb. ( Cablevision)

Misc Things formisc at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 14:31:29 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 1:50 AM, Christopher Meredith
<chmeredith at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 10:36 PM, Misc Things <formisc at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 1:16 PM, Christopher Meredith <
>> chmeredith at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Yes. The signal that comes into the house via cable can have QAM
>>> encryption requiring the use of a cable box to decrypt. Then the cable box
>>> itself can encrypt that signal over firewire using 5c encryption. There is
>>> no Myth-compatible device capable of breaking 5c encryption. Unless you
>>> are extremely lucky, all premium channels will be 5c encrypted.

>>> Rather than connecting the component cables to your  TV from the cable
>>> box, you would connect them to the HD-PVR from the cable box. This is an
>>> analog HD signal, so it can't be encrypted. The HD-PVR can record anything
>>> your cable box can play over component (so pretty much everything). After my
>>> cable company turned on 5c, I got an HD-PVR and have been happy ever since.

>>> Yeah, i doubt that i'll be lucky ( with absence of 5c ).
>> Based on your explanations i see 2 roads :
>> 1. take an antenna and record OTA free channels (around 12 of them) - pay
>> $0 to cable company
>> 2. take a box -> connect HD-PVR to either firewire or component or ( i
>> think i have ) SPIF(?) output(s) and enjoy all channels i subscribe to.
>>
>> With this seemed to be clear in my head. Lets go one step deeper:
>> 1. What video capturing card(s) would you recommend?
>>  Again i would like to be able to record as many channels in parallel as
>> possible and view one :).
>> I think, though, that if the source of the recording signal is the boxm
>> then the amount of channels i can record simultaneously is limited to those
>> of the box. in my case i can record 2 and watch one . Is this assumption
>> correct?
>>

> In part. To tune multiple channels simultaneously, you need multiple
> tuners. If you're going to record/watch OTA broadcast, you'll need multiple
> ATSC tuners. I have a pcHDTV PC3000 which I like very much, but it is only a
> single tuner so it can only record or watch one channel at a time. The same
> is true of the HD-PVR. It can only tune one channel at a time and as you
> surmised, you can only use one per cable box. Your STB itself has multiple
> tuners but since you can't access them directly, you can't use them. For the
> purpose of capturing the analog output with the HD-PVR, think of the cable
> box as a single source. Some on this  list have multiple HD-PVRs and they
> also rent extra cable boxes from the cable co.
>
> You could also do both options, using an ATSC tuner and an HD-PVR. Then you
> could watch one OTA channel while recording one cable channel and vv.

i got an antenna yestarday - well i had 0 reception... i can see in horrible
quality only one channel - shopping channel ( or whatever it's called).
if i can't get multiple recordings going @ the same time its not interesting
@ all. this cable companies are just pissing me off more and more i look
into this area..
anyway, so the key piece in your explanation is - one recording per tuner,
one play back - per tuner. And the box if i were to hook it up using
suggested method - is a source of a single channel.
 lovely (sarcastically)

anyway around this ?