[mythtv-users] How do you speed up screen refreshes in VNC when MythTV (Mythbuntu) is in OpenGL Mode?

Paul Bender pebender at san.rr.com
Sun Jan 31 02:03:59 UTC 2010

On 1/30/2010 5:29 PM, Neil Salstrom wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 5:08 PM, Raymond Wagner<raymond at wagnerrp.com>  wrote:
>> nospam312 wrote:
>

>> What exactly are you using VNC for?  Is there any reason why you
>> couldn't just open up a new X server, rather than hooking into the
>> existing one, and open a new frontend instance using the Qt painter for
>> whatever tasks you need to perform?
>>

> I've been using VNC but starting a new X server sounds interesting.
> Is this something along the lines of X over ssh?  Could you give a
> brief tutorial?
>
> Unfortunately sometimes I need to do remote administration from my
> vista laptop (boo!!!!) so I don't think the X will do much for me
> there.

I run cygwin/x <http://x.cygwin.com/> and putty
<http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html> on my
Windows machines. The combination allow me to run X applications (e.g.
wireshark) on remote Linux machines). cygwin/x and putty (as well as
vim, firefox and thunderbird) are installed on any new Windows machine
that I install. They make it much easier to function in my mixed
Linux/Windows environment.