[mythtv-users] Watch we webcam stream?

Francesco Peeters francesco at fampeeters.com
Sat Jan 30 15:12:05 UTC 2010

On 1/30/10 11:17 , Rajil Saraswat wrote:
>>> On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 1:42 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com>
>>>
> wrote:
>
>>> You may also want to look into MythZoneMinder for this sort of thing.
>>>
>>> Eric
>>>
> I have setup mythstream to view the stream and it is working well. However a
> bigger issue is now about security. Vlc doesnt allow to put a password access
> on the http stream, so anybody can snoop in onto the stream.
>
> Can MythZoneMinder help in this?
>
> Thanks

You might be able to:
1) Limit stream access to localhost (or a specific IP) only
2) Set up a VPN to the host.

That way the stream will only stream to the localhost, and that would be
accessible through the VPN. That way only those with access to the VPN
can access the stream, and nobody can eavesdrop on it's contents...

I do not know exactly what you're working with, so it impossible for me
to give details, but I have something similar set up for a server.
I have the server-daemon set up to only listen on a specific subnet, and
set up OpenVPN to use IPs in that subnet. Now this unprotected daemon is
only available to the OpenVPN users, and that is just me...

HTH!
--
Francesco