[mythtv-users] Watch we webcam stream?

Another Sillyname anothersname at googlemail.com
Sat Jan 30 13:21:57 UTC 2010

On 30 January 2010 10:17, Rajil Saraswat <rajil.s at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 1:42 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com>
> wrote:
>> >
>> > You may also want to look into MythZoneMinder for this sort of thing.
>> >
>> > Eric
>
> I have setup mythstream to view the stream and it is working well. However a
> bigger issue is now about security. Vlc doesnt allow to put a password access
> on the http stream, so anybody can snoop in onto the stream.
>
> Can MythZoneMinder help in this?
>
> Thanks

I think there's two questions here...

1.  Can I password restrict access to the camera before the stream is initiated?

2.  Can I encrypt the data stream once it's running?

Both answers will depend on your camera and it's capabilities.  If
your camera doesn't support any kind of encryption an easy solution
would be to put a small say mini itx device or even a openwrt enabled
router at the camera end (so the camera was ONLY connected to that
device) then set the stream up as a VPN to the router/mini itx device.

Hope this helps.