[mythtv-users] Too many encoders showing up / upgrade from Ubuntu 9.10 to 9.04

greg greg12866 at nycap.rr.com
Fri Jan 29 14:16:34 UTC 2010

Jim Morton wrote:

>>> I could not get my sound to work at all when I upgraded from 9.04 to
>>> 9.10
>>> until I removed pulseaudio.
>>>

>> Thanks for this, how do you recomend I remove pulseaudio and still
>> have sound working.  I have done some googeling and have found various
>> advise but your insignt would be mutch appreciated.
>>

> Well, I'm not saying whether this is the correct fix or not. All I can
> say is
> that it worked here for me. I messed around for a couple of days with
> my wife
> and kids tapping their feet waiting for their Myth experience to
> return. I
> Googled and read a ton of stuff and got the impression that it is
> mainly the
> Ubuntu - Myth - Pulse combination that doesn't work. So I removed it
> using
> the Synaptic Package manager. I figured it would be simple to
> reinstall the
> same way in case anything went wrong. After that I had sound.

http://linsux.org/blog/grubby/2009/09/06/howto-remove-pulseaudio-install-esound/

This is the site I used to uninstall Pulseaudio... One thing that
happened to me was the sound was muted..I had to reinstall
Pulseaudio,unmute and kill all sound events...Then followed the guide
and it worked fine for me....Usual disclaimers apply...