[mythtv-users] Multiseat/Multiple mythfrontend oddness and questions

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Fri Jan 29 12:23:37 UTC 2010

Mark D. Montgomery II wrote:
> Quoting "Mark D. Montgomery II" <techiem2 at techiem2.net>:
>>
>> X seat 1 is on my primary video card (GeForce 7600GT) connected to a
>> 19" LCD.
>> X seat 2 is on my newer video card (GeForce 210) currently connected
>>  to a 17" CRT (this card will ideally be connected via hdmi to the
>> TV  at some point).
>>
>> When seat 1 starts up, it is fine.
>> When seat 2 starts up, it is fine, but seat 1's monitor does the
>> wrap-picture-around-monitor annoyance.
>

> Swapping the video cards fixed this oddly enough.
> I guess the newer card wanted to be initialized first.
> hehe
>

>> My second issue is that of running 2 instances of mythfrontend on
>> the  same machine.
>
> This turned out to be easy as well.
> I realized that frontend has the option to use a custom machine name.
> I have 2 separate frontend users created (separate from the mythtv
> user), each with their frontend configuration set to a different
> custom name.
>
> The machine is now starting an X session for each of these users on
> boot, one on each video card.

I've been running multi-seat for quite a while; it works fine.  For
sound, I have a script that greps /proc/asound/cards to figure out which
card got attached to what output, and then sets ALSA_CARD to the
appropriate card number.  Since $DISPLAY is fixed, all you need to do is
read $DISPLAY from the environment, grep /proc/asound/cards for the card
that is associated with that $DISPLAY, and set ALSA_CARD accordingly.

I've suggested on the xorg list that this sort of capability be built
into the xorg startup, as most systems these days have multimedia, but
don't expect anything soon.

For multi-seat, see http://wiki.c3sl.ufpr.br/multiseat/index.php/Mdm

--Yan

--