[mythtv-users] New Backend Hardware

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Jan 28 16:05:53 UTC 2010

On 01/28/2010 02:22 AM, Eric Yanush wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am looking to assemble a new mythtv backend, to replace my old P3 backend, used with a pvr-150 and local cable, as I have made the move to HD :D
> I am getting my tv from my isp, IPTV, and can capture it directly over ethernet. Currently the SD channels are mpeg2 streams, and the HD are h.264, although they tell me they are making the move to all h.264 in the near future.
> This new machine will be backend and frontend until I can use my apple tv with broadcom crystal hd as my main frontend.
> I was wondering if anyone had an suggestions on recommended hardware for the new machine? It will be able to utilize 4 streams simultaneously over 2 ethernet connections, and I was wondering what kind of processor and ram requirements I would need to be able to deal with comm-flagging and transcoding, I would like to be able to be watching one stream, possible live tv, while being able to record and comm-flag one possible two more.
>
> I was considering a motherboard with a built in nvidia 8200 to make use of vdpau in case it ever does find itself pulling double duty again with 400W power supply, paired with an athlon II X2 240 (2.8ghz) dual core, and 2gb of ram. Along with a 160gb pata drive I have kicking around, for the OS drive and a 1tb WD caviar black for recordings.
>
> Should I be looking to make any adjustments to this?

If you are selecting a new motherboard you really do want a two-core
solution so the Athlon is a good choice.

The primary consideration has to be the video chipset for GOOD HD. The
8200 series will have difficulty with HD. You should seriously consider
a better chipset (either builtin or on a card). There are motherboards
with a 9300 chip (using one right now, it does well with HD). In one
sense the choice depends on you *physical* setup. If you can use a
medium sized case, then depending on PCI based answers is the way to go.
You can add a 9500GT fanless or a GTX220 fanless video card, and/or
other PCI (or PCI-E based tuners.
Since this machine will be a backend, you do want some computing power,
but so long as you are not attempting to commercial flag at the same
time as you are watching, you can get away with a surprisingly low power
load and requirements. You may want to reconsider your intention to
commflag a couple of streams at the same time you are watching another.
If you replace the PVR150 with an external analog + compression tuner
unit, you can even go as small as an ION board, as users here have
noted, with the Acer Revo. I have a Zotac ION and it ran 27 watts
steady, displaying HD ( as a FE only during that test).

Geoff