[mythtv-users] Advice on using an RF remote?

Mikko Rönkkö mikko.ronkko at iki.fi
Wed Jan 27 19:20:44 UTC 2010

Hi

On Jan 27, 2010, at 20:46, Jim Stichnoth wrote:

> I have a couple of Zotac IONITX based frontends that I would like to
> power-down (suspend) when not in use.  I don't really want to use
> wake-on-USB with the IR receiver because of the known issues with the
> early IONITX boards, and also because I often see the IR receiver
> picking up stray signals which would presumably wake up the frontend.
>
> I'm thinking of setting up a universal IR/RF remote to control things.
> The IR part is needed for controlling the TV.  The RF part would
> involve an RF receiver on the always-on master backend, which would be
> able to remotely suspend the frontends, resume them with wake-on-LAN,
> and use NetworkControls to send keypresses to mythfrontend.
>
> Has anyone done something like this?  Any gotchas?  Any
> recommendations for RF receiver hardware that works with LIRC?

You can use any IR device and a then purchase a universal remote with RF extended.

On my setup I power up my front end with Imon IR receiver that connects to the power button header in the mother board. When I push the power button, IR receiver connects the two pins causing the system to boot.

Mikko

mikko.ronkko at iki.fi

tel: +358 50 387 8155
skype: mikko_ronkko