[mythtv-users] Firewire troubles after upgrade. Is test-mepg2 mightier than MythTV?

Aaron aaron at rb303.net
Wed Jan 27 17:58:47 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 1:30 AM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 1:22 AM, Aaron <aaron at rb303.net> wrote:
>> In layman's terms, if I download the latest 33 kernel (2.6.33-rc5),
>> compile and install it my firewire recording should clear up a bit?
>>
>> BOTH of my firewire cards are listed in this thread; 23 and 22/A
>
> Quite possibly, yes. Dual-buffer should already be disabled on the
> 22/A going back a kernel version or three, but the 23 will still run
> dual-buffer anything other than 2.6.33.
>
> --
> Jarod Wilson
> jarod at wilsonet.com

I've tried compiling the 33-rc5 kernel from kernel.org, but have now
run into a couple bugs with dkms and nvidia-common. Both of which seem
to make it a stopping point for me.

So... in looking for a new firewire card that does not have the 22/A
or 23 chipset, I searched the gossamer-threads and found that people
have been using the 23 chipset with no issues for quite some time.
This makes me wonder, what am I doing wrong? Jarod, you have the exact
same STB as I do QIP-6200 from Verizon (or at least had, not sure if
you still have it).

What should I do...
Buy a new card?
Keep trying to compile and install the new kernel?
Wait?

Here is info about my setup:
Linux gazerbeam 2.6.31-17-generic-pae #54-Ubuntu SMP Thu Dec 10
17:23:29 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux
MythTV Version   : 23298
MythTV Branch    : branches/release-0-22-fixes
Network Protocol : 50
Library API      : 0.22.20091023-1
QT Version       : 4.5.2
Options compiled in:
 linux debug using_oss using_alsa using_pulse using_jack using_backend
using_dvb using_firewire using_frontend using_glx_proc_addr_arb
using_hdhomerun using_hdpvr using_iptv using_ivtv using_joystick_menu
using_libfftw3 using_lirc using_mheg using_opengl_video
using_opengl_vsync using_qtwebkit using_v4l using_x11 using_xrandr
using_xv using_xvmc using_xvmc_vld using_xvmcw using_bindings_perl
using_bindings_python using_opengl using_vdpau using_ffmpeg_threads
using_libavc_5_3 using_live using_mheg