[mythtv-users] OT: Indoor VHF gain antenna

Tom listmail at athenet.net
Wed Jan 27 01:09:18 UTC 2010

At 04:06 PM 1/26/2010 -0800, you wrote:
>Anyone have ideas for an indoor VHF gain antenna?
>
>I have one station on VHF I want to receive, on RF channel 9.  It's fairly
>weak at my location because I'm getting it via diffraction over two hills,

You need to know the actual frequency of RF channel 9, and whether it's
been moved to a UHF allocation in the digital transition.

>and I live in a first floor apartment.  I've had some success with a
>hand-cut half-wave wire dipole up near the ceiling, with a 4:1 balun to

A dipole of course has no gain.

>match it to 75-ohm coax, but the signal is right on the edge of usable.

I think you can build a yagi with 75-ohm impedance.

>Some weeks it comes in, some it doesn't.  Clearly I need a bit more
>antenna gain than the 2.1 dBi the dipole (theoretically) has.

Aiming it could be tricky, not to mention picky.

>The antenna will go into a back room, so it doesn't have to be beautiful,
>but it can't be completely unwieldy, either.
>
>I've experimented with adding a second length of wire on the ceiling,
>behind the dipole, to act as a Yagi reflector, but didn't see any
>difference in signal strength.

A Yagi could be built with multiple directors and reflectors. The directors
go in front of the driven element and are shortened with respect to the DE.
The reflectors are slightly longer than the DE. In many designs the
directors increase in size as they get farther from the DE.

But the dimensions of the reflectors, directors, and driven element are
critical. Contruction is not so critical. It's better to use larger size
conductors, like maybe 1/4" aluminum rod, but heck, even 12 gauge copper
wire will do. You could tape it to the ceiling, if there isn't tons of
metal in the walls facing the station.

I'm not sure what the Frequency of channel 9 is. Say it's 186.31 MHz.
Take that to any online antenna calculator, like
http://bfn.org/~bn589/antenna.html
Plug your numbers in and a basic 3-element yagi design pops up:
Director: 2 feet 4 and 11/16 inches
Driven Elements: 1' 3-1/4'' each, or 2' 6-15/32 total
Reflector: 2' 8-9/32"
Spacing: 1' plus 1/16" between director and DE, and DE and reflector.

Adding directors and reflectors increases directionality and maybe gain
too. Here's a calculator that lets you change the number of elements. It's
much more complicated than the first one:
http://fermi.la.asu.edu/w9cf/yagipub/ and click on the "Click Here for the
Yagi Modeler"

It's very slick- takes conductor diameter into account, and plots a polar
pattern graph of how it will perform. One of the examples is a 13-element
yagi, with one reflector behind the DE, and 11 directors out front. The
reflector is at zero inches from the back of the antenna and it 41.5 inches
long. The DE is at 20 inches and is 39.5'' long. Etc etc etc. This critter
is 282 inches long-  23.5 feet! So clearly, it's possible to get nuts with it.

Here's a list of antenna and line-of-sight calculators for all purposes:
http://www.educypedia.be/electronics/electroniccalculatorsant.htm

Hope that's of some help.