[mythtv-users] [mythtv] Ideas for MythMusic rewrite

Jim Morton Jim at Morton.hrcoxmail.com
Tue Jan 26 22:11:46 UTC 2010

Marc Randolph wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 6:59 AM, Stuart Morgan <stuart at tase.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday 30 Dec 2009 12:53:59 Paul Harrison wrote:
>>
>>> We'll probably regret this but we would like your opinions :-)  We are
>>> in the process of  switching MythMusic to MythUI and would like to take
>>> the opportunity to make some much needed improvements to the interface.
>>>
>>> We don't necessarily  just want a list of feature requests, although
>>> every idea will be considered, but also how they should be implemented,
>>> what the interface should look like etc. If you can provide mock ups of
>>> how it should look or links to images of how other players do things
>>> then all the better.
>>>
>>> You should bear in mind the limitations of keeping the interface usable
>>> on a TV using a remote control and where possible using the existing
>>> widgets available in MythUI.
>>>
>> If anyone mentions Amarok 2 I will scream.
>>

> I don't think Stuarts comment made it to the -users list, so hopefully
> this will make it seen there :-)

Hope I'm not too late for the party :)

This may be more of a feature request than what you are looking for but
here goes anyway.

I don't know if this exists anywhere. I think it is my original idea but
you know how that is. If I thought of it someone else probably beat me
to it and may have written a program to do just this.

In addition to the general idea of playlists I'd like to see
non-playlists or a blacklists. When one is selected it would play
everything else in the music library. To take that one step further, if
a song is playing that one doesn't like, one could hit X (or some key)
and it is added to the current blacklist and skips to the next song.

This would work for a lot of people simply because everyone knows what
is objectionable to them. The music tastes in my house are quite
eclectic. There is a lot of music out there that that is good that I
have never heard. I would never add those songs to a playlist because I
wouldn't know to. Or those songs I like but don't know the name of. They
never seem to make it my playlist either. Another benefit is this would
automatically include new music library entries with no action on my
part (other than ripping.)

If this is not feasible in Mythmusic then maybe a utility that could
build a playlist based on everything that is not on a blacklist. If it
could be run on demand then it could be updated after a rip. Although I
think the ability to blacklist a song while playing is probably the key
feature.