[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu 9.10 and ALSA mixing to HDMI on Revo AR1600

Bob Cunningham FlyMyPG at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 01:23:59 UTC 2010

On 01/25/2010 03:55 PM, Nick Rout wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 11:21 AM, Bob Cunningham<FlyMyPG at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> A strange thing just happened:  I had lost my ALSA mixing and HDMI output
>> (perhaps as part of an update?), so only one sound source could be heard at
>> a time, and only though the analog outputs.  I finally became so frustrated
>> while hacking on /etc/asound.conf and ~/.asoundrc, that I deleted
>> ~/.asoundrc and saved /etc/asound.conf as an empty file.
>>
>> And fully mixed sound returned over the HDMI output.  Everything works fine
>> now. (I'm listening to speaker-test singing backup for Jack Johnson.
>>   Groovy.)
>>
>> What happened?  Was this another blessed visitation by the Peripatetic
>> Perspicacious Penguin?
>>
>> Am I allowed to touch my system?  (I'm an Ubuntu/Debian newbie, having been
>> a RedHat user for the past decade.)
>>
>> -BobC
>>
> If it ain't broke, don't play with it!

What I'm really asking is:

1. Though I did have HDMI audio working immediately after my Mythbuntu
install, why did it suddenly go away?  I swear I touched no audio
settings after the post-installation setup, though I do faithfully apply
updates.

2. Why did none of my hacking on /etc/asound.conf and ~/.asoundrc manage
to restore HDMI audio?

3. Why did HDMI mixed audio "magically" return after wiping the ALSA
config files?

4. Where does Ubuntu/Mythbuntu store the settings that caused HDMI
output with mixing to work?

To quote the King of Siam: "It is a puzzlement!"

-BobC