[mythtv-users] Planning a new MythTV setup, one boring question, one really off the wall question

Joseph Blake jblake+mythtv at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 17:34:47 UTC 2010

Ok, so I recently found out about the HD-PVR and I'm sooo ready to dump my
DirecTV DVR, so I think it's time to switch to MythTV. I've got just a few
questions, though, and hope that you guys can help me out.

First, what are some inexpensive front-ends that can play HD (at least
720p)? I've already got an AppleTV and I'm not opposed to modifying it, but
whatever I use it needs to be beefy enough that it won't be laggy. My
potential setup is going to be two HD-PVRs + a non-DVR DirecTV HD receiver
for each, along with at least one ATSC (but probably two) tuner(s) connected
to my OTA antenna. I figure with that many tuners, along with connecting it
to my drobo array for storage, I'll just create a backend server and shove
it in a closet, meaning frontends for every TV (which to start with would
just be two TVs). I noticed there is a decoder card that may be supported
soon for the AppleTV, should I just wait before replacing my AppleTV for
something better suited?

My next question is about multiple backends. I want to play around with free
to air satellite, meaning DVB-S (remember, I'm in the US). My neighborhood
doesn't allow multiple dishes, and I already have DirecTV. Also, FTA dishes
are a bit over the size limit. My proposed solution is to build a backend
with a DVB-S card connected to a dish at my brother's house (lives on a big
property, already has a dish from when I lived out there). My concerns are,
how would I get that integrated into my own myth setup? Can I batch move
recordings over ssh? Should I setup a tunnel that is always on? Can backends
connect to each other from different subnets? Am I crazy and should I skip
that part of it? I'm already aware of the nature of FTA in the US, and I'm
just out to a) pick up whatever I can pick up in terms of full time channels
and b) for scanning for wild feeds (which I know may be troublesome to do
from within myth itself)

Thanks alot guys in advance
-Joseph