[mythtv-users] PCI-E Analog Card

Another Sillyname anothersname at googlemail.com
Sun Jan 24 18:01:00 UTC 2010

2010/1/24 Brent Norris <brent at brentnorris.net>:
> On 1/22/2010 5:52 PM, Brian Wood wrote:
>>
>> On Friday 22 January 2010 04:33:09 pm Mark wrote:
>>
>>> Wow, that's gonna be a busy system.  If you truly need 10 analog
>>> concurrent channels, go PVR-500's on a motherboard with 5 pci slots.
>>> I'm not sure how many concurrent streams you can get over 133 Mbits
>>> though.  Probably you'll be fine.
>
> <snikp>
>
> Yeah we aren't being cheap about it.  We have several hard drive systems.
>  The box itself is a brand new dell server with onboard RAID. We also have
> two other servers that will most likely be storage backends.  It will be
> unlikely that there will be 10 streams going on at any one time, but we are
> building big to cover the chance.  Plus we have a company called Vbrick that
> is wanting to sell us a 10 channel system for a lot of money, so I am
> specing a system of equal capacity.  Their encoders don't change channels or
> anything so you have to have tuners in front of them, and for that reason
> alone I am more interested in mythtv to run it.
>
> I can use an old server that has PCI slots, but this new deal server is the
> one that was purchased for this project, so I would like to work with it if
> I can.
>
> Brent

Brent

One solution is to go for a motherboard like an Asus P5WDG2 Pro which
supports PCI-X slots.  The bus structure of the board splits the PCI
slots from the PCI-X slots (you can plug a Hauppauge 500 into a PCI-X
slot because I do) and you shouldn't get bus saturation.

I run a backend with 2 dual terrestrial and 3 satellite feeds (all
digital though) but with multirec that's 8 terrestrial and 6 satellite
on that board.  The most I've had recording was two HiDef channels at
about 8gb per hour, 3 satellite channels at about 4.5GB per hour and 6
terrestrial at about 1.6GB per hour all at the same time.  With the

It is a quad core processor with 4 hard disks to spread the recording
load as well.

Have fun