[mythtv-users] Having serious signal quality issues with HDHR

Brent Bolin brent.bolin at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 15:27:50 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 12:10 PM, Mitko Haralanov
<voidtrance at comcast.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 20:55:28 -0800
> Mitko Haralanov <voidtrance at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> I am using an HDHR to tune the ClearQAM of my Extended Basic cable in
>> San Jose, CA. Recently, I found out that a lot of the channels are
>> getting very poor signal quality (no sound, serious pixalization). The
>> problem does not happen on all channels with the same tuner just some
>> (but enough). MythTV reports 84% signal quality and has no problems
>> getting locks but the quality is horrible.
>
> After doing some more digging with my TV's tuner and calling Comcast, I
> think I have figured out what is going on:
>
> Comcast is encrypting their channels. If the cable is connected
> directly to the TV, USA-W is horribly pixalated and there is not sound.
> If I connect the little DTA box, the picture and sound are perfect. The
> Comcast agent told me that they have been encrypting their channels.
>
> How are people dealing with this issue?
>
> Thanks
>
> --

Get rid of Comcast cable and just do OTA recordings.  I know this
doesn't work for many cause their addicted to cable, however I found
my wife and I using readably available HD broadcasts 90% percent of
the time.  And Netflix @ 9/month and Redbox.  Hum 5 DVD cheaper then I
can get a lunch at Mcdonalds.

Thats all I wanted another dodad(dta) in the house with another
remote, power plug etc...

Does anybody remember the commercials that Comcast was running.  "If
you have Comcast" you have nothing to worry about for the upcoming
digital conversion.

Guess what...