[mythtv-users] Can't set mysql root password for host_name

Carl Foner foner at usa.net
Sat Jan 23 21:40:24 UTC 2010

I'm having trouble setting up mysql on a MacOS X box. I've successfully set up
a mythbox before using KnoppMyth, but this is my first time having to do much
mysql fiddling.

I'm following the instructions at
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythTV_on_Mac_OS_X. So far so good, but I can't
past a certain point.

I deleted the anonymous accounts by using

DROP USER '';

(they had listed just DROP USER ; which didn't work)

I'm at the point where I'm setting up root passwords. I was able to
successfully do

SET PASSWORD FOR 'root'@'localhost' = PASSWORD('newpwd');

and

SET PASSWORD FOR 'root'@'127.0.0.1' = PASSWORD('newpwd');

They both returned responses along the lines of:

Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.03 sec)

But when I try to do either of the next ones:

SET PASSWORD FOR 'root'@'host_name' = PASSWORD('newpwd');

or

SET PASSWORD FOR 'root'@'host_name.local' = PASSWORD('newpwd');

it gives me the following error:

ERROR 1133 (42000): Can't find any matching row in the user table

I put in the correct hostname where it says 'host_name'. And I specified a
password where it says 'newpwd'. I've tried searching in the archive and I
couldn't find anything.

I appreciate in advance any help you could give.

Regards,

Carl