[mythtv-users] Having serious signal quality issues with HDHR

Mitko Haralanov voidtrance at comcast.net
Sat Jan 23 18:10:33 UTC 2010

On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 20:55:28 -0800
Mitko Haralanov <voidtrance at comcast.net> wrote:

> I am using an HDHR to tune the ClearQAM of my Extended Basic cable in
> San Jose, CA. Recently, I found out that a lot of the channels are
> getting very poor signal quality (no sound, serious pixalization). The
> problem does not happen on all channels with the same tuner just some
> (but enough). MythTV reports 84% signal quality and has no problems
> getting locks but the quality is horrible.

After doing some more digging with my TV's tuner and calling Comcast, I
think I have figured out what is going on:

Comcast is encrypting their channels. If the cable is connected
directly to the TV, USA-W is horribly pixalated and there is not sound.
If I connect the little DTA box, the picture and sound are perfect. The
Comcast agent told me that they have been encrypting their channels.

How are people dealing with this issue?

Thanks