[mythtv-users] Philips DLNA-client TV won't play recordings

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Jan 23 17:04:17 UTC 2010

On Saturday 23 January 2010 09:23:23 am Kingsley Sawyers wrote:
> I'm trying to encourage my TV to play recordings from my BE.  It's a
> current Philips set (pfl9604, current firmware) with an inbuilt DLNA
> client.  BE is running MythDora 5 so MythTV 0.21.  Recordings are all
> SD TV transmissions, nothing special.
> The TV finds the server OK, and I can navigate down to see a list of
> recordings.  When I select a rec to play, however, I get a blank
> screen and a message on the TV: "File can not be found or played".
> Philips haven't been able to suggest anything beyond "your TV should
> play the files".
> If anyone's got a similar config and knows or can help me check what I
> still need to do to open up my BE for this I'd be grateful.  Thanks.
> Kingsley

I have several UPnP/DLNA client machines, and an old Mythdora 5 box, so seeing
your post I decided to see what they would do.

I can see the files (these are PVR-150 recordings), but when it tries to play
them it breaks up a lot and sometimes errors out. This happens with an XBox
360, a D-Link DSM-520 and a Myka unit, so it doesn't seem to be the player
that's the problem, as they all work well with PlayOn.

It does play VOBs OK, as well as some other avi files. Seems like the players
don't like the Myth PVR files.

I'd guess that if I transcoded the files into something more standard it might
work, but that's pretty drastic.

Sorry if this doesn't actually help you much, but it should tell you your TV
is OK, and give you a data point.